Guru Nanak Dev University was established at Amritsar on November 24, 1969 to mark the 500th birth anniversary of Sikhism founder Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. This year the university is celebrating the “Golden Jubilee” year of its establishment. In last 50 years, the university has shown strong commitment in generating and nurturing knowledge in the domains of humanities, learned professions, sciences, especially of applied nature and technology. Today the university is recognized as one of the premier and leading institutes of higher learning in Northern India (http://www.gndu.ac.in/).
UNIQUE STRENGTH OF GURU NANAK DEV UNIVERSITY
- Accredited at “A++” grade (highest level as per modified criteria) by NAAC.
- Conferred the status of “University with Potential for Excellence” and “Grade I State University (Elite Category-I Status)” by UGC.
- It has 4 regional centres, 38 departments and approximately 162 colleges teaching UG, PG and Diploma courses.
- Imparting education to more than twenty thousand students, of which majority are girls and from rural background.
- Centre with Potential for Excellence in Life Sciences and centre for Advanced Study in Chemistry
- University is handling large no of consultancy (~ 30.3 Crore) and sponsored research (~ 2.2 Crore) projects
- More than twenty departments of the University have received varied grants under UGC-SAP, DST-FIST and PURSE.
- The University has the state-of-the art infrastructure for class room teaching, research and sports.
- The University has continuously shown its dominance in the field of sports (22 times MAKA Trophy) and cultural activities (9 times National Championship and 13 times North Zone interuniversity cultural championship).
- Top priority is given on online admissions and counselling, credit based evaluation system, and e-governance.