Department of Biotechnology, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar was established in the year 1991 with financial support from DBT, GOI (http://dbtindia.gov.in) and University. Since its inception, the department has made rapid strides in teaching and research in the field of Biotechnology.
STRENGTHS OF DEPARTMENT
- The only centre in the state of Punjab supported by DBT, GOI to offer M.Sc. Biotechnology program
- Offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs in Biotechnology. M.Sc. students admitted through Combined Entrance Examination (CEE) receive a fellowship of Rs. 5,000/- per month from DBT, GOI
- Highly qualified faculty members with specialization in different areas of Biotechnology
- State-of-art facilities and well-equipped laboratories to impart training in core areas of Biotechnology
- DBT, GOI sponsored Distributed Information Sub-Centre (Sub-DISC) established in 1995 to support bioinformatics work. Ranked 4th among 47 SUB-DISC by DBT, GOI for its research contributions
- Department is actively engaged in research in frontier areas of Biotechnology and has received substantial research grants worth more than 11 crores from DBT, CSIR, DST, ICMR, DRDO, AICTE, IFCPAR, TWAS and other funding agencies. DST-FIST Grant of Rs.1.5 crores sanctioned for infrastructure development
- Published several research papers in international journals of repute. Received incentive awards from DBT, GOI for publishing in high impact factor journals
- Large number of M.Sc. students qualify CSIR-UGC NET, GATE, DBT-JRF, ICMR-JRF etc.
- Research scholars of the department have been awarded prestigious international fellowships like Nehru-Fulbright Doctoral, DBT-AIST, DAAD, IBRO-APRC and BELSPO etc.